Welcome to the site of the CYBERFEST international media art festival!
This year the festival will happen for the 8th time and will take place in 5 cities: Berlin, New York, Tokyo, Moscow, and St. Petersburg.
In 2014 the CYBERFEST festival opens in November in St. Petersburg and closes in December in New York. The theme of this year’s festival is
The Other Home (s)
THE OTHER HOME, next to another home, next to the other house, much like the house that Jack built, turn together with Planet Earth that revolves around the Sun that, in its turn, makes people go to sleep because it is dark and get up when the day breaks, who start playing musical instruments, sweeping floors, brushing teeth or just lying down and thinking about life.
What a pleasure it is sometimes to think about life! To stay in bed and to think how particles of chaos add up to harmony. On their own, without outside help, and their number is infinite. And what if we aim a magnifying glass at them and bring it to our eyes? What will we see there? A home, and another home, and yet another... in Moscow, Tokyo, St. Petersburg, Berlin, New York...
A friend of mine told me once that, as a child, he asked to be woken up an hour early so that he would loll in bed and practice reflection. As a curator, I would like for the time spent at Cyberfest, regardless of the geographic location, to become, in fact, that very hour when one would immerse — similar to the description of the Fluxus by its founder George Maciunas — into "a Fusion of Spike Jones, vaudeville, gags, children’s games and Duchamp” and simultaneously feel as Earth slowly revolves around its axis, exposing its side to sunrays...
Anna Frants, Festival curator
Home sweet home, parents’ house, my castle and the walls that help.
A modern person changes 5 to 10 residences during the lifetime, usually using a few at a time, often in different countries and climate zones.
A countless number of renovations utterly wipe away traces of history, remote or recent, one’s own and somebody else’s.
The residence is a mirror of the inhabitant’s soul, but successful people invite the architect-designer-decorator to arrange the interior for them. In vogue, there could be exotics or high-tech, historicism or vintage – all this is made to order or purchased in special places.
Home sweet home is a bunch of appliances that chop-whip-fry-steam-warm up-cool down. They are designed in Europe, made in Asia, and, with their help, we prepare the food that has been familiar since childhood. But also the exotics, fusion or dishes of the molecular gastronomy.
The bedroom is still sacrosanct. It is believed that people love, conceive, give birth and die in their own bed. This is a literary cliche. They love and conceive in all sorts of places – best case scenario: on a romantic trip purchased in a travel agency. They give birth at a hospital. They die… well, let’s leave it at that.
The walls look like a castle less and less. They look like a screen. In order for them to help, it is recommended to switch the channel. But, as a rule, it does not help.
A successful person lives in the coordinates: taxi-airport-hotel. They are all different, and they are all somebody else’s. The most enviable “one’s own” is a yacht or a private plane. It seems, the land has no hold anymore.
A really successful person could buy a castle in Europe. Or an island in the Pacific Ocean. History or lack thereof.
Between these poles of success, there are tens of thousands square miles of bedroom communities.
Something needs to be done about that.
Marina Koldobskaya, Festival curator
The Other Home is also the name of the CYBERFEST’s main exhibition that is scheduled to take place on December 12-14 in Berlin (Künstlerhaus Bethanien).
Program (changes are possible):
- November 5-9. Ken Butler, Hybrid Visions (USA) – sound art performance and workshop at the State Hermitage Museum (Youth Educational Center) – more
- November 8. «An Introduction to Game Design Tools: from the Basics to Advanced» — workshop by Al Doyle at the Youth Educational Center of the State Hermitage Museum – more
- December. Sound art performance program at the PLATOON Kunsthalle in Berlin curated by Sergey Komarov – more
- November 29-30. Show of selected works by CYLAND at Roppongi Hills in Tokyo (part of Berlin Days in Tokyo) – more
- November 18 – December 9. Ken Butler, Hybrid Visions (USA), performance and workshop; exhibition of CYLAND’s Sound Art Archive at Ground Moscow curated by Katya Bochavar – more
- December 12-14. The Other Home – media art exhibition at the Künstlerhaus Bethanien in Berlin curated by Anna Frants and Marina Koldobskaya – more
- December 14. Video art program in New York curated by Victoria Ilyushkina – more
- November – December. Live webcasts from Berlin, Tokyo, and New York at the Youth Educational Center of the State Hermitage Museum curated by Sophia Kudriavceva – more